Misamis University’s guiding philosophy upholds extension as major function co-equal with research and instruction. Some years back, this commitment, extending beyond the confines of the academe was expressed by the extension activities pursued separately by each college or department of the University until 1977 when the administration deemed necessary to streamline and coordinate all outreach services.
This paved the way to the creation of Misamis University Community Extension Program (MUCEP) under the strong and generous support of the University President, Dr. Nestor M. Feliciano, MUCEP, in coordination with several colleges and in partnership with the community, foreign and local funding agencies, National Government Agencies (NGAs), local and foreign Non-Government Organizations (NGOs), Local Government Units (LGUs) is now implementing community based projects to help improve the quality of life of certain marginal groups (i.e. farmers, fishermen, children) as well as in solving the prevailing local environmental problems and issues: e.g. solid waste management, reforestation, potable water system, etc.
People-centered approach is the fundamental strategy adopted by MUCEP projects. It means the clients or beneficiaries should be actively involved in defining their own problems, formulating the solutions and implementing measures to help solve the problem. Faculty members and the staff involved in pursuing community projects must assume facilitative or advisory roles. The approach emphasizes local people’s counterpart in terms of funding, planning, implementation and monitoring of project activities.
- Conduct continuing education and development of MUCEP personnel and partners to attain excellence in program implementation.
- Extend quality and responsive extension and research services of Misamis University to partner communities and institutions.
- Implement participatory and sustainable social, economic and environmental programs and projects.
- Establish partnerships and linkages with other stakeholders to generate resources for multi-sectoral programs and projects.
- Promote Misamis University through programs and projects of MUCEP.